AUGUST

 summer’s end
days remain hot
temperature rising

yet, in the early morning
fall is in the air
a chill against my skin
I pull my sweater close

as a child,
August meant back to school
the doors thrown open

we filled the lonely building
which stood silent and empty
all summer long
waiting for our return

new shoes
new books to read
new backpack

new room
new teacher
new desk

the leaves fall
cover the ground
crackle under foot

the night lit with bonfires
football players and cheerleaders
the band plays the school song
try to remember the words, we sing along

we lean into our lessons
try to remember what
was learned last year


For Mary's prompt at What's Going On? August


Comments

  1. This takes me back to school days, Annell...........thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annell, I just loved your recollections about August and the way you expressed your thoughts in your poem. Most of them resonate with me too...I always loved shopping for those new shoes! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful it is when a time is filled with songs and music and light and camaraderie! Thanks to August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem could be about me, Annell; I looked forward to going back to school, both as a child and, mostly, as a teacher. I love the lines:
    ‘we filled the lonely building
    which stood silent and empty
    all summer long
    waiting for our return’
    and all the new things to look forward to.
    You’ve also described my favourite time of year in the falling leaves and bonfires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it takes me back to those school years and especially the August of 1976. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the newness of the school year and all that August does hold. This is lovely Annell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schools start in June in India, a diffferent calendar, yet the feeling of new books, new lessons, school yard... just the same!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts