Small Miracles

 

Small miracles to hold in my hand
A tiny lizard found in the desert
Scurries away
Doesn’t want to be held 

I open my eyes
I am still here
I will live one more day 

The sun appears most mornings
Just above the mountains
The world is alive
The path finds it way 

Can I hold this path in my hand?
Hard to say
One foot in front of the other
Walk this way 

A breeze awakens
Meanders through the sage
Dust devil in the distance
Proclaims hot breath 

It is spring
And spring brings many wonders
The leaves sprout on the trees
Turn green 

Tiny plants poke their heads
Out of the warm earth
Soon to be flowers
Mrs. Couse’s garden deadheaded in the fall

Life is the miracle I am thinking of
Hold in my hand
No beginning
No end

 

Comments

  1. Love this and i love the line "Life is the miracle I am thinking of" It is so evocative of the miracles that surround us. Excellent poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading all of the small miracles you mentioned. I smiled at the mention of the small lizard.....and, yes, life itself is a miracle that each of us lives each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Annell. I walked along with you, an enjoyed all the small miracles. Along with life itself, the most amazing miracle of all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your small miracles, Annell. We don’t have lizards here, but I loved watching them in Italy. I love the thought of a breeze meandering through sage, the scent must be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sun appears most mornings
    Just above the mountains
    The world is alive
    The path finds it way ... beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lizards don't like to be held. Very true. We shouldn't even touch them. I love Mrs. Course's garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is excellent - I enjoyed the images, and the pacing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your opening stanza drew me in and made me smile since I live in the desert and love those tiny lizards! And your second, "I am still here. I will live one more day," reminded me of a note I saw on a coffee shop wall yesterday which read, "Tomorrow needs you." Life truly is a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous poetry, Annell. The imagery charms from the first, each encounter with nature, with activity, with life, all rounded off with that powerful last stanza that with brevity and simple sincerity steals the breath away with gratitude and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miracle in the form of life is a wonder. Beholders are so few. So amazing to see all the miracles through your eyes. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts