WEDNESDAY'S CHILD

 

Wednesday third day of the week

your party fills my thoughts

we were together again

for the first time

to celebrate your birthday

 

yes, wonderful you

a-full grown woman

amazing in your being

still a bit of a girl at heart

 

you wear a new hair color

your face young with just a hint of dew

like the morning fresh

waiting for the sun to rise

 

you sat next to me

you tell me of the death of your husband

and the death of your son

I say, “I understand”

 

no, I cannot say, “ I know how you feel.”

but I do understand the grief

that surrounded you

enveloped you

 

it is a personal thing

no one can share

 

you must walk this part of the journey alone

bent from the weight of the burden

the sorrow

 

I remember that day, the 4th of July

we were together then

darkness drew slowly around us

I imaged myself an old woman

carrying the weight of my son

 

an old woman I was not yet

but soon the day would come

and I would be ready

you have taught me so much

 

And now, it is June 6th

your death day

I remember asking, “who are you?

“why does it hurt so much?”

 

the answer came unexpected

who you were and would always be

you were my teacher

you gave me lessons for all times

 

and now, I am old,

wise because of the lessons

it is only now I feel I am ready

but it is too late

 

the time left is not long enough

perhaps I will be able to use all you have taught me

in the next life I live

 

for Sherry's prompt at What's Going On ?  It's Wednesday and This Is What I Know 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I love the contemplative tone of your poem, Annell. And some lessons, though hard ones, really stay with one....throughout the hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annell,
    I like the title of your poem. I am a Wednesday child and often think that I seem to look to carry too many woes....it's maybe something to do with that day...it's easy to attach life circumstances to a day, especially when deeply affecting..
    Very powerful and contemplative

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wednesday's Child, a poignant poem. Maybe it is not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "it is a personal thing

    no one can share"....

    This is so true Annell, and so difficult to trudge on for the rest of the days. Yet the amazing power within helps make this life-journey somewhat possible. Such beautiful words work as inspiration for those who are on the same journey.
    I like the new look of your blog. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts